If you have been diagnosed with and treated for periodontal (gum) disease, regularly scheduled supportive therapy is vitally important to your success in management of disease progression. According to the American Academy of Periodontology, “following a course of active periodontal treatment and periodic ongoing care at regularly prescribed intervals is essential. Because periodontal disease or infection can recur, continuous maintenance is absolutely necessary to prevent this periodontal infection from becoming active once again and destroying what healing has occurred.
The following treatment is included in your periodontal maintenance appointment:
- Evaluation of oral health to detect subtle signs of disease recurrence
- Appropriate debridement of teeth and gums (professional cleaning and polishing)
- Antimicrobial therapy to destroy difficult to reach bacteria as deemed necessary by the doctor
- Evaluation of homecare regimes and aids
- Oral health evaluation including oral cancer screening, necessary dental films, and decay detection
- Recommendations based on individual needs as a result of medical and dental histories review
- Scientific studies support the belief of experts that the most important aspect of periodontal treatment is the long term maintenance therapy. Individuals vary in their response to periodontal disease and resistance to the disease varies at different times of life. When periodontal disease recurs following treatment, it may do so without signs or symptoms to the patient. Dr. X and her team of periodontal therapist are well trained in recognizing the very subtle signs that may signal detrimental changes. Ash Dr. X and your hygienist what interval of care would be in your best interest for lifelong oral health.
We’re here to help. Contact Us!